PSW Conference page >
Assessing & Managing Suicide Risk (AMSR): Core Competencies for Mental Health Professionals
Date: April 12, 2018
Time: 8am - 5pm (Continental breakfast 7:30-8:00)
Location: Kalahari Resort & Convention Center, 1305 Kalahari Dr, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965
Fee: $125 (Covers materials, continental breakfast, lunch, and 6.5 CEHs)
Registration deadline: 5pm, March 29, 2018
This class has reached capacity and registration is now closed.
Hotel: A limited number of rooms will be available at the Kalahari until the cutoff date of Monday, March 12 or until the rooms are gone. Book early to receive the reduced rate. Reservations can be made by phone at 1-877-253-5466 (additional information). Rates: Single occupancy $82, 2-4 occupancy $129.
A one-day workshop for mental health professionals on assessing suicide risk, planning treatment, and managing the ongoing care of the at-risk client.
Workshop Objectives - Participants will gain knowledge in the following core competencies:
- Managing one’s own reactions to suicide
- Reconciling the difference and potential conflict between a clinician’s goal to prevent suicide and a client’s goal to eliminate psychological pain through suicide
- Maintaining a collaborative, non-adversarial stance
- Eliciting suicide ideation, behavior, and plans
- Making a clinical judgment of the risk that a client will attempt or complete suicide
- Collaboratively developing an emergency plan
- Developing a written treatment and services plan that addresses a client’s immediate, acute, and continuing suicide ideation and risk for suicide
- Developing policies and procedures for following clients closely
- Implementing the principles of crisis management
- 6 ½ hours of training, comprised of an engaging mix of lecture and exercises
- A 110-page participant manual, including an extensive bibliography and other valuable resources
- A video presentation in eight segments, highlighting the competencies taught
- Journaling throughout the day and ample time for discussion
Continuing Education Credit: This program has been approved by the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) and the National Association of Social Workers (NASW). The Suicide Prevention Resource Center is authorized to award 6.5 NBCC clock hours and 6.5 NASW CE contact hours. The Suicide Prevention Resource Center (SPRC) is approved by the American Psychological Association to offer continuing education for psychologists. SPRC maintains responsibility for this program and its content. Participants may receive 6.5 hours of APA CE credit.
No partial credit will be given for partial attendance. No walk-ins will be accepted
Facilitator: Doug Bisbee, MDiv, MAC, LPC
Doug is a licensed professional counselor at Samaritan Counseling Center of the Fox Valley. He is a certified AMSR trainer who has done several trainings in the Fox Cities. As a counselor, Doug works with adults, couples, families, and adolescents who struggle with a variety of issues such as depression, anxiety, ADHD, stress, loss & grief, anger management, and relationship concerns. Doug also served as the executive director of Community for Hope of Greater Oshkosh, a suicide prevention, intervention, and grief support non-profit agency from 2010-2014.
If you have questions, please contact Cara Hansen at email@example.com or 414-336-7969.
PSW conference page >>