Main conference page > April 18 - Suicide-Loss Support Group Facilitator Training >
Assessing & Managing Suicide Risk (AMSR): Core Competencies for Mental Health Professionals
Date/Time: April 18, 2017 (Breakfast & Check in - 7:30am; Class 8am - 4:30pm)
Location: Kalahari Resort & Convention Center, 1305 Kalahari Dr, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965
Fee: $90 (Covers materials, breakfast and lunch. Fee includes CEUs - see below)
Registration deadline: April 4, 2017
A one-day workshop for mental health professionals on assessing suicide risk, planning treatment, and managing the ongoing care of the at-risk client.
Workshop Objectives - Participants will gain knowledge in the following core competencies:
- Managing one’s own reactions to suicide
- Reconciling the difference and potential conflict between a clinician’s goal to prevent suicide and a client’s goal to eliminate psychological pain through suicide
- Maintaining a collaborative, non-adversarial stance
- Eliciting suicide ideation, behavior, and plans
- Making a clinical judgment of the risk that a client will attempt or complete suicide
- Collaboratively developing an emergency plan
- Developing a written treatment and services plan that addresses a client’s immediate, acute, and continuing suicide ideation and risk for suicide
- Developing policies and procedures for following clients closely
- Implementing the principles of crisis management
- 6 ½ hours of training, comprised of an engaging mix of lecture and exercises
- A 110-page participant manual, including an extensive bibliography and other valuable resources
- A video presentation in eight segments, highlighting the competencies taught
- Journaling throughout the day and ample time for discussion
Continuing Education Credit: This program has been approved by the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) and the National Association of Social Workers (NASW). The Suicide Prevention Resource Center is authorized to award 6.5 NBCC clock hours and 6.5 NASW CE contact hours. The Suicide Prevention Resource Center (SPRC) is approved by the American Psychological Association to offer continuing education for psychologists. SPRC maintains responsibility for this program and its content. Participants may receive 6.5 hours of APA CE credit.
No partial credit will be given for partial attendance. No walk-ins will be accepted
Dawn Zak, MS, LPC, CSAC - Dawn has over 30 years of clinical and teaching/training experience in the mental health and substance abuse field. She developed and provided statewide trainings for social workers, therapists, primary care professionals, and workplaces on mental health, substance abuse, and suicide prevention. Dawn is a certified Assessing and Managing Suicide Risk (AMSR) trainer and has delivered several workshops on the AMSR model. Dawn attended training with Dr. Ed Coffey at Henry Ford Hospital on their Perfect Depression Care (Zero Suicide) Model. Dawn had a coordinating role with the State Suicide Prevention and Intervention initiative. She worked closely with Suicide Prevention Resource Center and the National Zero Suicide faculty as part of the team to develop and hold Wisconsin’s first Zero Suicide Academy. Dawn Zak is currently a psychotherapist and adult addiction therapist in private practice with the Valentin Clinic in Wauwatosa, WI. She provides individual counseling and facilitates groups on recovery, mindfulness and self compassion skills.
This class has reached capacity and registration is now closed.
If you would like to be added to the waiting list should a spot become available, please contact Cara at email@example.com.
If you have questions, please contact Cara Hansen at firstname.lastname@example.org (Tuesday-Thursday).
PSW conference page >>